Cars, trains and diggers are often well loved toys to play with. We have been exploring different ways to enhance and extend play using some of our favourites! Enjoy playing alongside your child, making the noises that the different vehicles make, making them go fast and slow and developing a simple storyline e.g. rescuing someone, taking them to the shops etc.
Try some of our multisensory, messy and fun ways to engage with this theme – check out the ideas below.
Whoosh explores the theme…
Crunch crunch crunch! The diggers enjoyed digging and moving through different cereals!
The cars made marks with the pens. We challenged ourselves to make different shapes and we tried to make different lines too!
We sung row row row your boat whilst playing in the water!
We dipped the cars in paint and then ZOOM down the ramp they went! We enjoyed seeing how far the cars could go and what patterns they could make with painted tyres.
Of course there is always time for a puzzle too 🙂
Lastly… let’s wash all the cars so they sparkle and shine!
Great books to share and explore
- The Naughty Bus – Jan Oke
- The Hundred Decker Bus – Mike Smith
- Train Ride – June Crebbin
- Mr Gumpy’s Motorcar – John Burningham
- Mrs Armitage on wheels – Quentin Blake
- Duck in the Truck – Jez Alborough
- Dazzling Diggers – Tony Mitton and Ant Parker
Songs about Transport Vehicles
- Wheels on the Bus (bus)
- Row Row Row your boat (boat)
- Zoom Zoom Zoom we’re going to the moon (rocket)
- Down at the station (train)
Here are some other ways to explore the theme further at home:
- Take a journey using different transport and enjoy the experience – go for a bike /scooter ride, enjoy a walk, take a trip on a train or bus and maybe look for signs of aeroplanes in the sky.
- Challenge your child to notice what numbers they can see on the buses that pass by.
- Create a town using lego, bricks or boxes. Then create a road, car park and different places for the vehicles to go. Beep Beep… off they go! Enjoy playing 😊
- Play with different vehicles in different places e.g. diggers in cornflakes, cars in the bath etc.
- Visit a car wash – it is such an exciting experience 🙂
We have had great fun exploring this theme. Please share any activities that you enjoy at home…happy transport exploring. Fancy joining us for a session? Check out https://whooshlearning.co.uk to find out more about WHOOSH!