We have loved exploring the deep, blue sea and looking out for mermaids and pirates. We have had such fun adventures in our Messy Play sessions exploring foamy water, digging for treasure, making mermaids and lots lots more. Check out below some ideas that you might like to explore at home.
Whoosh explores the theme:
Those sneaky pirates like to bury their treasure deep in the sand. We had fun digging to find all the coins. We even found some jewellery!
Our little people enjoyed becoming mermaids for the day – the children enjoyed giving them sparkly tails 🙂
There were 2 craft activities this week… spinning and sparkly mermaids or boats to sail the sea.
We had bubble foam in the water tray this week. We enjoyed sailing the boats through the foamy sea and we even found some beautiful shells hidden underneath the waves!
Water play – the children enjoyed making the characters walk the plank!
Collaborative art – the children used the big sponges to make a large underwater scene.
And lastly we enjoyed a photo booth session with our friends…. Arrghh a pirate’s life for me!
Great books to share and explore
- The Singing Mermaid – Julia Donaldson
- Port Side Pirates – Oscar Seaworthy
- Mrs Pirate or Pirate Pete by Nick Sharatt
- Pirates love Underpants by Claire Freedman
Songs about Pirates
- Row row row your boat
- Pirate Jack
- When I was one…
- 1 shiny, 2 shiny, 3 shiny treasures!
Here are some other ways to explore the theme further at home:
- Make a pirate telescope out of a tube and a paper cup
- Make a treasure chest using an egg box – see picture
- Create a treasure map and then try and find the treasure together.
- Visit the beach and look for interesting shells and pirate treasure!